Wednesday, July 4, 2012

My Love for Levain

I can't review cookies in NYC without including Levain Bakery. This place has definitely made a name for itself by creating some of the best cookies in the city.

These sky-high cookies definitely fit in with the landscape of this city, and yet, despite their massive height, they never fail to be perfectly cooked. They are crisp on the outside without any hint of being burned and soft and gooey in the middle but not at all doughy.
 In my opinion, the chocolate chip cookies are very good, but I'm not a huge fan of walnuts. I end up picking the nuts out and stop paying attention to the delicious cookie.

For me, the Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip is the cookie worth making an entire meal out of. The dark chocolate perfectly balances the rich peanut butter to create this incredible cookie.
And learn from my mistake: the Upper West Side location has a webcam that streams onto their website. Unfortunately, I didn't learn this until AFTER I nursed my baby right underneath the camera (luckily I was covered)...hopefully I didn't drive away too much business!

This is another chocolate chip cookie with a great copycat recipe. My favorite version is found here (and I leave the nuts out!).

Also in Harlem on 117th and Frederick Douglass.

2 comments:

  1. Melissa, I have eaten the cookies here and you are right, they are fabulous! How fun that you are so close to such great treats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you can't beat their customer service... once I called from the curb (our last summer there/intern summer) while both kids were asleep in their car seats and they actually brought the cookies outside and let me pay them from the comforts of our air-conditioned car. Love them.

    ReplyDelete