Wednesday, July 4, 2012

City Bakery: Good for so many reasons, except the CC cookie

Just an avenue and a half from City Cakes is City Bakery (name alert), which is another great stop in Chelsea. I love so many things about City Bakery: their incredible selection of farm fresh vegetables, pastas, and entrees; amazing hot chocolate; mini tables and a toy kitchen for the kids; and convenient location (near the F train and our church). However, I have been sadly disappointed on several occasions by their chocolate chip cookie. It looks perfect (on the same line as Jacques Torres: gigantic, crispy exterior, lots of dark chocolate). But it's all downhill from there. In my opinion, they use too much brown sugar, and it over caramelizes. So it has almost a burnt flavor, though it's not burnt but actually very chewy (actually almost too chewy to the point where it's a little airy). I've given it several chances and just can't make myself like it.
But, don't worry because there are some other great treat options at City Bakery!
1. The vegan chocolate chip cookie. I have no clue how you make a vegan CC cookie, but whatever magical ingredients they use to replace the eggs, butter and chocolate make this cookie amazing! And because it's missing dairy, I had dreams of it being healthy...it's probably best I don't know what's in it.
2. Hot chocolate. I'd even drink this when it's 100 degrees outside...it's that good. It is so creamy and thick (I'm guessing whole milk and real chocolate - no powder here). And to top it off (literally) is the best homemade marshmallow I've ever had - springy, soft, melt-in-your-mouth. Awesome. For the best adventure, hit up their hot chocolate month in February when they have a new flavor each day (in addition to the classic). Amazing!

FYI: These cookie reviews hold true for Birdbath Neighborhood Bakery (14 St and 1st Ave) since City Bakery supplies their baked goods, but don't worry, I tried the cookies there too just to make sure!

1 comment: