Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Traveling Sweet Tooth

We were recently in Utah to visit family, and of course it didn't take long for my mind to turn to treats! Thanks to my mother-in-law's killer baking skills, I usually have a full supply of sweets for our entire stay. But with a Utahn recently winning Cupcake Wars, of course I had to make a special trip to try her goods! After eating the cupcakes at Sweet Tooth Fairy, there is no question why Megan Brown won - her cupcakes are fantastic! I tried the chocolate with salted caramel frosting. The cake was moist, dense and full of flavor. The frosting had that perfect balance of savory/sweet that the sea salt adds to the caramel, and it was perfectly smooth. Loved it!
The red velvet cupcake was also good, but not quite the same blow-your-mind flavor (and the frosting has an almondy taste that caught me off guard).

Of course, being a cookie fanatic, I had to try a chocolate chip cookie. It was good, but I'd stick to the cupcakes. Honestly, if I weren't so spoiled by NY cookies, this one might top my list. But now that I know what's really out there, I missed the crispy exterior, soft middle, and quality dark chocolate. This cookie was soft all over and a little lacking in the chocolate. 

Finally, my sister-in-law has brought Sweet Tooth Fairy cake bites to family dinners on several occasions, and I HIGHLY recommend them! I think they are the best cake bites I've ever had. My favorite is red velvet, with double fudge being a close second. These are definitely rich and sweet, but perfectly so. Best of all, they deliver (and since this is a blog about New York City treats, this somehow makes this post a little more relevant)! They go on hiatus for the summer months to avoid delivering melted blobs, but will be back to usual on September 4th. 

As a side note, I love the tooth fairy. Whenever I lost a tooth, I was so excited to leave the tooth under my pillow and a cup of water next to my bed. In the morning, I'd have a dollar under my pillow and water dyed the color of the sweet fairy's dress. My husband, on the other hand, grew up in a family of 5 boys. His dad convinced them all that the tooth fairy was a hunchbacked ogre with mangled hands that sneaked into their rooms at night. Still hoping my tradition wins out when our girls start losing teeth....

1 comment:

  1. your blog makes me hungry....and can I make an embarrassing confession? I have yet to try a Jaques Torres chocolate chip cookie. Fail! I need to work on that for sure.

    ReplyDelete